Ramblings of Daniel Graziotin
It is a pleasure for me to announce the availability of the first public release of datapkggui. Summarizing again, datapkggui is a graphical frontend for datapkg. It looks like a package manager for a GNU/Linux distribution, and it is used for obtaining open data packages.
The name of the project has just been changed from datapkg-gui to datapkggui, because of consistency with Python naming conventions.
The project page has also been updated with download location, installation instructions and screenshots.
I am very proud to have datapkggui as my first project registered on PyPi: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/datapkggui
What is included in this release?
- Possibility to search for a package in TheDataHub
- Gathering extended information about a Package
- Download a Package and its resources
- Threaded operations, fluid GUI
- Implementation of a (not yet complete) library that is proposed as the standard datapkg library
Please note that I am applying various coding techniques and design patterns. Code is quite exhaustively commented and refactored before each commit. Unit tests are included, too. A Public API has not been yet generated but is already present in the code itself. Therefore, look at the code if you are interested.
What will be next?
The following are the next features that I plan to include in the next releases:
- Creation of a Package and Resources
- Registration of a Package in The Data Hub
- Localization of the program
- Integration of the Program in SofaStats